12 Nov 2008

Our Daily Bread







When I was about 10 years old we lived in the centre of Rotterdam. Helping my mother with the shoppings, I bought our bread a few block away at a small bakery. Although there wasn't much to chose, the bread was delicious and I always started eating on the way home. I still remember how wonderful this bread tasted.


A few years ago I decided to start baking my own bread. I longed for a nice tasteful bread without all kinds of additions I cannot even pronounce. After a full year experimenting with a breadbaking machine, and different sorts of flour, a beautiful kitchenaid took place of the breadbaking machine. Since then our daily bread exists of the Norwich Sourdough and the Basic heartbread of Rose Levi Beranbaum (Bread Bible). And you know what? The Basic Heartbread tastes just like the bread I used to eat when I was a the age of ten.

No comments: