1 Jun 2009

The Italian knots of the Bread Baking Babes

It's june already and despite the fact that I've baked those Italian knots a few weeks ago, I'm too late for the round-up of the Bread Baking Babes.


Well, it doesn't mind; I've had my fun and still want to share my experiences with making those knots. This time the challenge came from Ilva with her wonderful weblog Lucullian delights.

Italian knot bread
Biga
200 gr. bread flour
1/4 tsp. instant yeast
170 ml water; lukewarm
Combine the flour, yeast and water quickly in a big bowl or container. Leave it , covered, for 15 to 24 hours.

Dough:
250 gr. biga
500 gr. italian flour (type 00)
200-260 ml. water, handwarm
1 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
25 gr. olive oil (extra virgin)
30 gr. soft butter
12 gr. honey
12 gr. salt
2 tbsp. dried mixture for bruchetta

In a big bowl, crumble the butter with your fingertips into the flour. Add the yeast, olive-oil and honey. Combine the water and the biga and add it with the salt to the doughmixture. Knead the dough for app. 7 minutes until it is smooth and doesn't stick. Leave it into a big oiled bowl (covered) and leave it to rise until it has doubled.

Take out the dough and divide it into 12 equal parts and roll them into long strands. Lien described and showed how you can make those knots:


1. Roll out the dough into snakes and lay them out on a flat surface. (at this point I rolled some of the strands through the dried bruchetta mixture)
2. Make a semi-circle with the dough strands.
3. Twist the two ends together like in the photo.
4. Bring the two ends towards the upper part of the circle.
5. Lift/fold the top part over the twisted part.
6. Take the two end and join them together under the actual knot, this will make the knot part come out more and it hides the ends.


Put the knots on a baking sheet or a baking tray and leave the for the last proof until almost doubled in size. Pre-heat the oven till 390 dgr. F. (200 dgr. C.).
Bake the knots in app. 25 minutes.

The remaining biga was just added to the dough of a bread with yeast. This became a very tasteful and airy bread. My knots didn't look as nice as I'd hoped for but I promise I'll never join the navy.

5 comments:

Lien said...

Oh that herby knot just looks the part! Must have smelled amazing in your kitchen (love those bruschetta herbs). Thanks for baking with us! Your rolls may not as knotty as you wished, but they look good to me (I could eat one or two right away!)

Ilva said...

i'm happy to add you to the list if you want, just send me an email so I can send you a buddy badge!

Ilva said...

I have added you to the roundup, I hope you don't mind!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Ooooo herby knots!
I'll bet the Navy sailors would be over joyed with your knots. I would am.

Karen Baking Soda said...

I'll join any Navy that serves up these yummy rolls! Love the herbs on top.